Thursday, May 21, 2015

Week of May 17, 2015

I had so much fun last week I had to go back for more this week.  I started out Sunday evening with Rhandy. We hit some excellent spots but ended the evening with just 1 green fish.  They just were not cooperating.  Rhandy was not a happy camper, but that's just fishing.  We were at some mighty good spots but found nobody home.  We did find a couple of huge sand bass on a main lake point but those don't count.  We drowned our sorrows with lots of BBQ and beer.

Monday I went out with Dale at 6:30 am and we had a good day with 13 fish.  I caught a couple on topwater Yellow Magic but most came from Carolina rigs fished shallow in flooded willow trees and grass.  The lake is still a bit over full pool so there's lots of flooded vegetation all along the shoreline.  My biggest fish of the day was a 6 and a half pounder from about 2 feet of water.
I got off Dale's boat around 2:30 pm and off we went on Rhandy's boat.  Off I went again with Rhandy and we found 7 bass with the biggest being about 5 pounds.  We finished the evening with some schooling fish on a main lake point.  Rhandy even threw a Alabama rig for a bit.  All we caught were sand bass but a 6 pound bass chased one of his catches up to the boat.  We knew there were some good bass mixed in but we never could hook one, despite trying several techniques

Tuesday started off at sunrise again with Dale and we went back to the same spot that had been successful the previous day. Many other guides only had 2 or 3 fish all day so we felt we were on to something good.  Again I had some success with a Yellow Magic including a nice 6 pounder.
After an adventure that made us go in for a bit, we came back out and ended up with 8 fish for the day.

Dale dropped me at Rhandy's trailer and I got this nice shot of them together.
Off again With Rhandy we found more fish than Monday including a great 9.1 that Rhandy caught.  As usual he was throwing off in "the paw paw patch" while I fished the main structure.  Wham.  Another paw paw fish.  We got chased in by storms and only got about an hour in for the evening.
Wednesday Dale was booked so Rhandy got the full day trip.  We headed out early with dark and ominous skies.  It looked like most of it was passing north of us.  We scooted across the lake planning to stay close to the ramp til the weather settled.  Rhandy caught one fish before a stiff north wind blew up from one of the storms.  It looked ugly so we ran back across the lake, getting soaked from waves in the process.
I went back to my room to change clothes and we waited out the passing storm.  When we went back out we both had our rain suits on.  It stayed rainy and nasty for a few more hours but we caught some fish on a secondary point with Carolina rigs.  Later on the sun came out and off went the rain suits and on went the sunscreen.  It got very hot after awhile and the wind layed down.  We found some more fish in deep water on a hump at 20 feet and those were a fun tug.  The biggest went about 5 and a half pounds.
Later on we went off to another hump where Rhandy caught another "paw paw fish" while I fished the main feature.  I think I may start fishing the paw paw patch more often.  That seems to be where the big fish are!  We ended up with 13 fish for the day.
We went in about 4 pm because it was just miserably hot and humid with no wind.  I made the decision to head back that evening and it worked out well. Thursday morning was rain and thunder all morning long.

No comments:

Post a Comment